Answered By: Gorgas Information Services
Last Updated: May 09, 2019     Views: 1945

Microforms contain images of printed documents so small that thousands of newspapers, journals, and historical and other documents can be stored in just a few cabinets. In order to view or print these small images ("microreproductions"), one must use a special reader. Microfilm (film strips or reels) and microfiche (flat sheets or cards) are types of microforms.

There are several different ways you can search for microforms in the Libraries' collections, but here are some suggestions:

  • Use Scout to search for your topic, adding the word microform to your search term(s). You can then use the limiters on the left side of the page to narrow your results (for example, selecting Catalog Only will limit the results to items in the UA Libraries' collections).
  • You can also use the Libraries' Classic Catalog to search for microforms. Select Advanced Search, then enter a search term (keyword, title, author, etc.), in the first box. Enter [microform] in the second box, then select Search.

Microforms are for in-library use only and may not be checked out. In Gorgas Library, microform readers/printers and instructions for their use are available in room 310, where the microfilm cabinets are also located during the Gorgas renovation.  

Please let us know if you need help locating microforms or using the readers.

Contact the Libraries

Contact your liaison

Request a research consultation

Text us at 205-377-2920

Call or Visit our Branches

Bruno Business Library

Gorgas Library

Hoole Special Collections

McLure Education Library

Rodgers Library