How do I request an item via Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
If you're a Distance Ed student, please see If I am a Distance Ed student, how can I have books mailed to me?
If the book or article you need is not available through the University Libraries, you can use Interlibrary Loan (or ILL) to request a copy from another library.
- Go to the Interlibrary Loan Request Form.
- Enter your myBama username and password, then select Logon to ILLiad.
- The first time you use ILLiad, you will be asked to complete setup of your account by providing some information, such as your e-mail address, phone number, and whether you are an undergraduate, graduate, or distance education student.
- After you've set up your account, from the main ILLiad page, you can submit new requests, track outstanding requests, request renewals, and change your user information.
- To place a new request, select the type of item you'd like to request.
- For an article- either print or electronic- select Copy.
- To request a book or other item, select Loan.
- You'll need to provide as much information as possible when completing the request form. The form includes a Notes field and a Where did you learn about this item? field where you can describe the item and explain where you found it.
- When you've completed the form, select Submit Request.
You will be notified when the material you requested is received. You can also check the status of outstanding requests from the main ILLiad page.
If you have questions about using Interlibrary Loan, or need help placing a request, you can contact the ILL department at 205-348-4018 or email@example.com, or just ask a librarian.